Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Putting up a San Francisco

It appears as though I got off to a slow start in the college season, going 4-9 against the spread for the Top 25 games this week. I failed to include the Utah-Utah St game, and FSU-Miami games in my predictions, so I'll assume a 2-0 pick there. (In fairness I did mention to a friend to take the 5.5 points Miami was getting last night). So, where did I go wrong:

Wins:
Boise St (-3) - Oregon looked terrible, not even getting a 1st down until midway through the third quarter.

Okie St (-5.5) - Georgia showed the offensive aptitude that I expected, and Oklahoma State looked like they could seriously challenge for the national title.

USC (-33) - Like San Jose St had a chance

BYU (+22) - BYU looked like they were going to cover even before Bradford got hurt, but once that AC joint got sprained it was smooth sailing.

Losses:
Ohio St (-21.5) - Maybe now people will start getting a little quieter about what creampuffs the service acadmies are. Probably not though.

Penn St (-27) - Still not sure how I lost this one. PSU is up 31-0 at the half, having given up only 8 yards of offense, and then they don't score again the rest of the game.

Nevada (+14.5) - I needed ND to show me something before I started giving up two touchdowns. They showed me a lot.

FAU (+22.5) - Whatever

Texas (-42) - They only won by 39.

Va Tech (+6.5) - I got thrown off when I saw the game was "at" VT, because in reality it was a neutral site game in Atlanta. Which meant it was practically a home game for Alabama. And it showed.

Maryland (+21) - I usually like Friedgen teams as big underdogs, but that didn't work out so well this week. Jahvid Best showed why many think he's the best back in the country.

LSU (-17.5) - The Huskies showed some fight under new coach Steve Sarkisian. If I was Les Miles I'd be a little worried about my defense.

Memphis (+17) - This was looking like a win until Ole Miss exploded for 28 in the fourth quarter.

Hopefully I learned some things this week and next week's effort will be an improvement. It certainly can't get much worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment